Google Discovery Ads: What Are They And How To Run A Successful Campaign
If you are looking to improve your Google Ads game, Discovery campaigns offer many opportunities that other ad types, like Display, do not.
What are Discovery ads? This type of Google ad enables you to deliver rich, personalized ad experiences to users who are ready to find and engage with brands – all through a single Google Ads campaign. According to James Anthony, a Google rep:
“Google is positioning Discovery Ads as an alternative to Facebook and Instagram. Discovery is a browseable, feed-based surface which gives advertisers an opportunity to extend their digital footprint to hundreds of millions of Google users globally — with a single campaign. All while leveraging rich user intent signals to meet users’ expectations when they’re eager to learn more and ready to take action,”
Google states that Discovery campaigns can reach up to 3 billion customers across Google feeds to achieve your performance goals. These ads are based on Google’s signals from website visits, app downloads, videos watched, and map searches. Additionally, these ads are targeted using audiences vs. keywords, and can run across the mobile YouTube home feed and Gmail Social & Promotions tab in addition to the Google Discover feed.
Before Discovery campaigns, there has never been a way to create an ad group that only targets searchers of specific keywords across YouTube, Gmail, and the Discovery feed. Very Exciting and powerful for your business!
Still not convinced that these ads are for you? Here are a few reasons why Discovery ads are worth it! These ads:
- Increase brand awareness and user engagement by promoting your products and services
- Capture audience attention through a visually engaging and seamless ad format.
- Simplify campaign management by reaching the right customers on Google at scale within just one asset.
Here’s what assets are required in order to set up your Discovery campaign:
- Up to 5 Headlines (40 characters)
- Up to 4 Descriptions (90 characters)
- Business Name (25 characters)
For all specifications, check out Google’s guide here!
Are you ready to dive into creating Google Discovery campaigns? The Team at Search Engine Journal shared a list of Dos and Don’ts to help you get started.
- Utilize the 4:5 aspect ratio
- Maximize the images, headlines, and descriptions used for each ad. – The more you can give Google to test, the better!
- Refer to learnings from your social channels, as the mindset of these ad viewers is similar to that of someone scrolling on social.
- Use images with people in them to drive better CTAs.
- Tie a lead gen form to your ad.
- Monitor your asset level reports to ensure the ads are resonating.
- Imply interactivity – like adding a CTA button – Google is strict.
- Use much overlay text in your images, as it leads to lower click through rates.
- Start running Discovery campaigns before you have conversion tracking set up.
By following these tips and keeping marketing best practices top of mind, Discovery ads will soon become a key part of your digital marketing strategy.
Ready to get started? Contact Us to get started. We would love to help you launch and manage Discovery ad campaigns.